Vous êtes surDiscover GuétharyPatrimonyThe City Hall and "Le Fronton"

The City Hall "herriko etxea" and "Le Fronton"

By decree of the emperor Napoleon III in 1859, the ground of the real tennis must be moved for the construction of the railroad. In 1864, the train go through Guéthary.
The City Council, after numerous heated debates, decides to built in 1868 a front wall in the current place. In the « Season od Baths », the « Foreign Colony » is mad about bid games-challenges between pelota player stars.

"Le Fronton" before 1910
"Le Fronton" before 1910

In 1910, the wall of the Real Tennis is rebuilt and raised : the big free place of Guéthary is henceforth adapted to the “Grand Chistera”, game which requires power, nimbleness and precision.
To there simple tenant, in 1926 the City Council decides the building of the current City Hall, in border of the place of the front wall, and entrust its conception to the architect Fernand BRANA.

Of neo-basque style, with its portico with columns, its two arcs with full round arch and its basque sculptured heads, the “Herriko Etxea is registered on the inventory oh historic monuments.
This place is the heart of the village now, where are scheduled all the year games of pelota, singings, dances, markets and traditional parties.

Virtuel visit of the City Hall and "Le Fronton"